This week on The James Altucher Show, I am joined by Dan Ariely.
When Dan was a teenager, he was severely burned on over 70% of his body. He then spent the next three years in the hospital enduring agonizing pain.
His experience in the hospital led him down the path of exploring irrational behaviors. He wanted to understand how to better deliver painful and unavoidable treatments to patients.
After completing this initial research project, he became engrossed with the idea that people repeatedly and predictably make the wrong decisions in many aspects of their lives and that research could help change some of these patterns.
His interests span a wide range of behaviors, and his sometimes unusual experiments are consistently interesting, amusing and informative, demonstrating profound ideas that fly in the face of common wisdom.
It’s a great interview that I know you will enjoy!
In This Episode You Will Learn:
- How emotions affect your rationality
- What it takes to create helpful habits
- How sensitive we are to the behavior of the people around us
- Dan Ariely’s story of being burned and how he got into the field of evolutionary and behavioral psychology
- How to use irrational thinking to your advantage
- The amazing qualities of the placebo
- How to find meaning in your life
- The irrational behavior of insider trading
- How to fix the texting and driving epidemic
Links and Resources Mentioned in the Show:
- Danariely.com (Dan’s personal blog)
- Dan Ariely on TED
- The Center for Advanced Hindsight
- Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions
- The Upside of Irrationality: The Unexpected Benefits of Defying Logic at Work and at Home
- The (Honest) Truth About Dishonesty: How We Lie to Everyone – Especially Ourselves
- Dan Ariely on Twitter | Facebook
Thanks so much for listening!
if you enjoyed this episode of The James Altucher Show, please leave a review or a rating on ITunes. I read every review and it helps to make the podcast better.
Want to make $2000 this weekend?
Most Americans have only their salaries to provide their income, and often times that is not enough to live the life they want..
It can feel hopeless…
So I have compiled this free guide that could help you earn extra cash in your spare time.
It reveals 14 creative ways you could earn thousands every week…Outside of your regular day job!
To receive the guide, enter your email below and I’ll send you a copy for free immediately
By submitting your email address, you will receive a free subscription to Altucher Confidential. This daily investment newsletter delivers free independent financial forecasting and commentary along with carefully selected products and services that we think might interest you. We will not share your email address and you can unsubscribe at any time. Privacy Statement.