Episode 315: The Economics of Entertainment… This is What Makes Videos Go Viral
Kevin Allocca, Head of Culture and Trends at YouTube, talks to James Altucher on The James Altucher Show about why videos go viral and some other cultural phenomenons.
Links and Resources
- “Videocracy: How YouTube Is Changing the World…with Double Rainbows, Singing Foxes, and Other Trends We Can’t Stop Watching” by Kevin Allocca
- Kevin’s TED talk “Why videos go viral”
- Ylvs’s videos: “What Does the Fox Say” and “What’s the Meaning of Stonehenge”
- GANGUM STYLE
- David after Dentist
- Charlie bit my finger
- The making of GANGUM STYLE
- The Star Wars Kid
- Chocolate Rain with Tay Zonday
- My interview with Erika Ender (songwriter of Despacito, which has 4+ billion views on YouTube)
- Lazy Sunday by Adam Samberg (an SNL Original short)
- Bo Burnham & Miranda Sings (people who started on YouTube and then made it into career)
- Ze Frank (created the video unit at BuzzFeed)
- Friday by Rebecca Black
Ideas for a world out of balance… sent straight to your inbox!
My goal is to deliver to you a fresh perspective…
Something to help you make sense of the chaos.
Sign up below for Altucher Confidential, my tell-all FREE weekday e-letter.
By submitting your email address, you will receive a free subscription to Altucher Confidential. This daily investment newsletter delivers free independent financial forecasting and commentary along with carefully selected products and services that we think might interest you. We will not share your email address and you can unsubscribe at any time. Privacy Statement.