How to Read People (and a Room) with Precision
I want to know what people think. And feel. I want to be able to read a room. And then use that to either make more money, create relationships, have more success, make business deals, etc.
So I found Euny Hong and invited her on the podcast. She is the author of “The Power of Nunchi: The Korean Secret to Happiness and Success.”
Here’s a list of everything we talk about in this episode:
- 0:00 Intro
- 3:38 | Imagine what life would be like if you couldn’t read a room. You’d be outcasted. But now imagine the opposite. You’re the best at reading a room and people and situations. That’s called “nunchi.” It’s a Korean phrase with a ton of benefits. I ask Euny to break them down for us.
- 7:02 | How to get your nunchi back (if you lost it)
- 10:10 | Learn from the greats. Hear how Steve Jobs and other business superstars use nunchi to run successful businesses
- 13:00 | You see nunchi all around you. You can observe it. Hear how.
- 15:45 | The first step to nunchi: when you walk into a room, be aware they’ve all been in the room longer than you
- 18:46 | Every office has its own culture. And if you don’t develop nunchi, you’ll misread it. And it could cost you.
- 25:11 | Another first step to nunchi: abandon your prejudices
- 26:44 | How to stop having cyclical arguments
- 29:33 | Why your intentions don’t matter at all
- 32:00 | We all think we’re more emotionally intelligent than the average person. But that’s false. It’s a cognitive bias. And it stops us from developing better nunchi. Hear how to break the cognitive bias. Or at least become aware of it.
- 34:51 | You already have the tools to develop nunchi. Euny explains how tapping into your five senses helps.
- 39:03 | You change a room every time you walk it. Sometimes we don’t notice it. (That’s a sign of bad nunchi).
- 41:16 | The power of silence
- 45:30 | Quick ways to practice nunchi
- 48:16 | When you should trust first impressions. And when you shouldn’t
- 53:20 | Outro
Links & Resources:
- “The Power of Nunchi: The Korean Secret to Happiness and Success” by Euny Hong
- Follow Euny on Twitter and Instagram
- Get updates on eunyhong.com
Quotes from this episode:
- “You can succeed without nunchi but only up to a point.” – Euny Hong
- “Nunchi is about finding the right time to strike.” – Euny Hong
- “You can’t force a person to do something differently so you have to do something differently. Even if you don’t think it’s your responsibility.” – Euny Hong
- “The magic is in knowing how to be quiet and pay attention to the writing on the wall.” – Euny Hong
- “If you’re watching a play, you don’t just focus on one or two people or else you’re losing context, so do the same thing when you enter a room.” – Euny Hong
- “You can observe without expecting immediate, dramatic results.” – Euny Hong