"Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends On It:"
Should I publish? Who’s going to read this? Who will care?
He sold half a million copies.
This was without a publisher. Without a marketing team. Without any advance money. He just did it on his own. And it was hugely successful.
It was a short book. About 50 pages. “I thought only my friends and family would read it,” he said.
The money he made was enough to pay for his rent… in San Fransisco. Which is not cheap.
And it paid for all of his living expenses for years.
That’s the dream of choosing yourself. And bypassing the gatekeepers…
Creating for yourself.
For your loved ones.
Or your younger self.
The book is called, “Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends on It.” And now after seven years, Kamal is FINALLY republishing.
I had him on the podcast to talk about how he expanded it. And to ask about that original decision to DO 7 years ago.
I hope reading this and listening to him makes you think about your opportunity to look back seven years from now. And say, “I did it.”
- 0:00 | Intro
- 4:56 | Why Kamal expanded and republished a new “Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends On It”
- 11:32 | The power of commitment and why you should vow to love yourself
- 16:24 | “When your ego is tied to the results of this external thing, if it fails you’re gonna go with it.” – Kamal Ravikant
- 22:15 | Loving yourself is a skill you have to practice. Hear Kamal explain how
- 29:40 | “If you’re gonna go to the future you’ve got to let go of the past” Kamal talks about practicing forgiving yourself and the value in it
- 35:20 | Self-publishing vs mainstream publishing. And why Kamal chose to work with a major publisher
- 37:18 | Why it matters to stay true to your vision
- 43:32 | The vulnerability in creating something unique and new
- 47:45 | “When you love yourself, you’re way more loving and giving to others.” – Kamal Ravikant
- 51:55 | How to practice self-love daily and why this helps
- 56:04 | Being more comfortable with saying “no” and how this will benefit you
- 1:00:32 | How to love yourself without needing the validation of others
- 1:05:20 | “You owe it to yourself to go all in” – Kamal Ravikant
- 1:07:39 | Outro
Quotes from this episode:
- “If it scares me, then there’s magic on the other side” -Kamal Ravikant
- “If you’re not scared of what people think of you, then you probably shouldn’t do it” -James Altucher
- “When you love yourself, you become kinder and more loving to others.” -Kamal Ravikant
- “Here are the fundamental basics of loving yourself: the first is forgiving yourself. If you’re going to go to the future you’ve got to let go of the past.” -Kamal Ravikant
- “I was just in a bad place. And what got me out of it was making the decision that I was going to get out of it.” -Kamal Ravikant
- “When your ego is tied to the results of this external thing, if it fails you’re going to go with it.” -Kamal Ravikant
Here’s the show and if you like it, please let us know. I read all the comments and tweets. And use them to make better and better shows in the future.
Links & Resources:
- Order Kamal’s new re-released book “Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends On It”
- “Rebirth: A Fable of Love, Forgiveness, and Following Your Heart” by Kamal Ravikant
- “Live Your Truth” by Kamal Ravikant
- Listen to my first interview with Kamal Ep. 28 – Kamal Ravikant: How to Become an Angel Investor with Only $1000
- Hear Kamal talk about almost dying and what it felt like: 507 – Back from the Dead: Kamal Ravikant Shares How His Near-Death Experience Led to Inner Peace
- I wrote this post about Kamal in 2012: “Love Yourself Like Your Life Depended On It”
- Follow him on Facebook + Twitter