I was looking on Amazon. Because I had just self-published a new book. I was proud.
So I “refreshed” the ratings every hour.
I kept seeing the same name hit #1 for days, then weeks, then months. Now it’s been years! He still hits #1.
So I had him on my podcast in 2014. It was episode 23 “How To Go From $0-$40,000 a Month Writing From Home”.
And the episode exploded.
This guy has written 70+ books under two names “Steve Scott” and “S.J. Scott.”
Each book brings in at least a dollar every month.
“It’s the 80/20 rule,” he said. “Where 80% of your profit comes from 20% of your product.”
He’s created a lifelong, evergreen, income machine.
I had him back on my podcast. “How much did you make last month?” I said?
Then I jumped in with questions.
- HOW does some actually get to the top of Amazon’s best seller list?
- HOW can someone listening, right now, get their first idea for a successful book?
- HOW do you write? (This one seems basic, but it’s not. What are the writing habits? How do you create discipline? Do you outline? Or not outline?)
We go through all of the mechanics. It’s probably the most action packed interview I’ve ever done.
Because it’s not just the philosophy of writing a good book or finding your soul.
It’s action. It’s etc. It’s how to generate income.
Scott makes 30, 40, 50 thousand dollars A MONTH!
I brought him back again to give us more help and more inspiration. Because if you didn’t act last time he came on the podcast, that’s okay. You can act now.
Links and Resources
- Habit Stacking: 97 Small Life Changes That Take Five Minutes or Less by SJ Scott
- Visit Steve’s websites:
- Steve Scott’s Facebook group “Authority Self-Publishing”
- Listen to my first interview with Steve Scott – Ep. 23 – How To Go From $0-$40,000 a Month Writing From Home
- Deep Work by Cal Newport
- Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg
- My interview with Charles Duhigg
- pomodoro technique
- The Accountability Manifesto: How Accountability Helps You Stick to Goals by SJ Scott (the book he wrote that flopped)
- Tools of Titans by Tim Ferriss
- Dictate Your Book: How To Write Your Book Faster, Better, and Smarter (Growth Hacking For Storytellers #4) by Monica Leonelle
- HARO – helpareporterout.com
- The Art of Witty Banter: Be Clever, Be Quick, Be Interesting by Patrick King
- (Steve says he’s a great example of copy writing / description for books)
- A Thousand True Fans (brilliant article and idea by Kevin Kelly)
- You can also go listen to my interviews with Kevin Kelly (he’s been on twice):
- 50 Shades of Grey by E L James
- Amazon Ads (Scott uses this to micro-target readers)
- Pickfoo.com (this is the website Scott goes to get his titles reviewed and “ripped apart” before publishing )
- Declutter Your Mind: How to Stop Worrying, Relieve Anxiety, and Eliminate Negative Thinking by Steve Scott and Barrie Davenport
- The One Thing by Gary Keller
- Virtual Staff Finder http://www.virtualstafffinder.com/ (the site Steve used to find his virtual assistant)
- Guerrilla Publishing: Dangerously Effective Writing and Book Marketing Strategie by Derek Murphy
- The Miracle Morning for Writers: How to Build a Writing Ritual That Increases Your Impact and Your Income (Before 8AM) (The Miracle Morning Book Series)
Thanks so much for listening! If you like this episode, please subscribe to “The James Altucher Show” and rate and review wherever you get your podcasts:
Follow me on Social Media: